Foundations in Painting
DATE: June, July, August, 2021 (3 sessions) | Mondays 10am-1pm
LOCATION: Apple Hill Farm | Banner Elk, NC 28604
Are you looking for a jump start or ready to begin a new chapter? Are you looking for a safe outdoor space to let your creative side free? Do you just need a change of pace and a chance to unplug from technology? Can you imagine painting outdoors, surrounded by birdsong and grazing alpacas?
Join Foundations in Painting for an outdoor, informal but comprehensive exploration of painting with acrylics! Carlette Peters is partnering with Apple Hill Farm to bring you this safe and socially distant class held outside in the extraordinary & beautiful apple orchard at Apple Hill Farm. Classes are limited to no more than 4 participants, so not only will you have lots of room, but you’ll also have plenty of attention and feedback during your class time.
Over 4 weeks, Individuals will acquire skills to test their old or new interest in painting. In the class, we will “learn” to paint, with the goal being to paint independently subjects or images of your choice. It’s a wonderful opportunity to consider….the process of growing is the magic.
Your art guide, Carlette Beam Peters, is an educated, seasoned art explorer who loves to share the magic of making art and of translating what you see or feel onto a surface. She will demystify the fear of creating. She will tear down the walls of intimidation related to “outcome”. She will share as much as she can to help you learn to paint.
There will be three sessions offered for 2021. To join in, you will register for one session of 4 consecutive meetings. Classes are rain or shine. Class will be held in the picturesque orchard at Apple Hill Farm, under a tent for shelter. There will be one make-up day offered in case of class cancellation due to severe weather.
Classes will meet from 10 am to 1 pm on scheduled days. We will take a short break in the middle of class to refresh our minds, so bring your own snack if needed. Refreshments will NOT be provided.
- Must wear a mask at all times
- Open mind
- Positive outlook (zero negative self talk & a winning attitude for growth)
- An interest in art – no prior experience needed!
- Face Masks are required at all times.
- Classes will meet RAIN or SHINE. In the event of severe weather, the class will be canceled. There will be one make-up day scheduled in the event of severe weather.
- There will be no make-up days that you miss that are not canceled by Apple Hill Farm. Your instructor will provide make-up materials as appropriate.
- Any cancellations made less than 3 days before the start of class will be subject to a cancellation fee of 50% of the class fee.
- There are NO refunds for missed or canceled classes once class begins.
What to Bring:
- A properly fitted face mask
- Folding tray table and a folding chair.
- Notebook and pen for notes (handouts will be provided)
- Camera or camera phone
- Water for yourself to drink, a snack if desired
- Apron, smock or clothes you don’t about getting paint on
What is provided:
- Detailed instruction and demonstration from your art guide, Carlette
- ALL required art supplies!
- Handouts, Examples, and lots of communication!
- A peaceful, outdoors setting to let your creative spirit thrive!
- Intimate class size for social distancing and one-on-one attention
This syllabus is subject to change, as each class is tailored to fit the group! This is a general idea of the concepts and topics covered.
Letting go: the personal mark; seeing through focus; determination; understanding value, composition, and scale.
The thumbnail sketch, the underpainting; why monochromatic study; the still life as teacher; quick paint & blocking in values; understanding form & dimension.
Translating and handling bigger, wider subjects like TREES. Continue painting & monochromatic exploration of form & dimension.
Adding temperature; mixing & using color. Will use previous underpainting and prepping for the real explorations ahead.